Header image

Header image

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Taking flight.

        Most of my post so far have been on scenery. My thoughts on how to hide a guardsman in a copse of trees or ruined buildings.Tonight, my thoughts turn to the skies. Or at least 6 inches off the table top. Today the new Death From the Skies compendium came out. As a long time player of speeders, skimmer tanks, and jet bikes, I am used to weaving in and out of terrain at about 2 inches off the table. For these, trees & low buildings or ruins are your friend. A Vyper can easily dash from behind a hill to the safety of ruins and never be seen. It's actually easier than trying to do the same with ground bikes, tanks or infantry. The mobility of skimmers makes them invaluable for hiding and moving secretly.

     But today, I'm looking higher. Should I be making terrain high enough to hide a squadron of Vendetta? The question really is, are we trying to create high flying aerial dogfights or strafing runs through the streets of Los Angeles. I already own and have building of 9 inches or higher. But as a tournament organiser or group host, are you obligated to provide a hiding place for a Storm Raven. I don't think so. It would be nice for 1 or 2 that might obscure, but for the ground part of the game to flow you can't have a table full of spires and multiple story ruins.  Squads would be climbing out of one building into the third story of another. There are just not enough turns in a game for that.
         But, for all the jets and drop ships in the 41st millenium, I am really surprised that the only warrriors to not employ aerial combat are also the dogs afraid to teleport, too. I hope the best for them.
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment